Tuesday 18 June 2013

May and June - Nail of the Day


Holy crabsticks!!!!

Ahoy there blog readers!

Woah it's been a long time - how is everyone doing? Apologies apologies - I've lost my blogging mojo. I haven't really found it but I'm suppose to be doing something and so I've decided to procrastinate and blog. Makes sense to me!

Let's just keep it simple and talk nail polish. I love nail polish. I remember being in primary school and Mrs Flowers' saying to my mum that I had prostitute nails (my fav at the time were baby blue with rainbow glitter and a neon orange). Anyways, just wanted to share my nail of the days for May and June.

[Above - Claire's polishes]


I was walking past Claire's (formally Claire's Accessories) and there was a massive poster in the window proclaiming that the nail polishes were all £1. I felt very awkward (OLD) when I walked into the crapped and messy store but nothing will keep me away from £1 polishes!!! I've not tried Claire's polishes before but I am not fussy so was happy to pick up a few. Aren't I exciting and brave?! These polishes didn't have an official name or product number (that I can see) so I'm just going to call it as I see it... and please forgive my nasty naked nails; I was really excited to swatch (two coats).

[Above - nasty swatches ;)]
 First up we have a leather look polish in black (RRP £4). As you can see from the horrendous swatch, ,it's grainy. That's the best word I can think of. I don't know what sort of leather they were aiming for - a cow's bumhole?! Definitely not Chanel lambskin. It's black and matt and grainy. You wouldn't think it was an in-your-face nail look but a lot of people stopped and asked about my nasty nails. It probably didn't help that I was sporting talons when I decided to wear this look. It's very cool and I swayed back and forth between love and hate. At times I hated the texture; the graininess made me want to puke and sent shivers up my spine, but the 'on trend' look had me waking up at 2am googling for more leather look polishes. Overall? For £1 I am happy enough and glad I got to try it out.

Next we have blue (RRP £2.25). Blue isn't really a colour I like to incorporate into my clothes or nail wardrobe - but I am on a hunt for a dupe of Nails Inc's Baker Street. I've gotten to the point where I've purchased so much crap that I should have splashed out the £11 but that's easy to say in retrospect isn't it. I haven't worn this properly but the swatch impressed me. The first coat was horribly watery and sheer but as you can see the second coat made it beautifully deep and glossy, and true to the bottle colour. As a nail polish it's good - not great but not at all bad - but probably not something I needed for my collection at all.

Lastly we have...a nude with bits in it. I can't describe it but I love it. I wore this to a wedding and it was a perfect mix of lady like with an edge. The 'bits' are not glittery at all which for someone my age (OMG have I reached that age where I can say that?!) is great. RRP is only £2.50 and after using it I would be happy to pay the full price. This polish was definitely the bet out of the bunch and worth the trip into Claire's.


[Above - Leighton Denny in Just Perfect]
[Above - Leighton Denny in Zero Gravity]

The above two Leighton Denny polishes were gifted to me by my lovely buddy N (same N who gave me a shit load of BB creams which I posted about maybe 1-2 years ago!)). I got loads more of Leighton Denny goodies from her but there's only so many hours in a day to paint my nails lol

As I've said earlier, I am not fussy about nail polish - as long as I like the colour I'm happy - but OMG I have to say that Leighton Denny's polishes are on point. Colour-wise, love the two colours above but that's not what I am head over heels about. I am in love with the formula. I think these retail around the £11 price point which is the same as Nails Inc and Ciate but that's where the similarities end. Nails Inc chips like a bitch and Ciate is not as opaque after 2 coats that I would expect for the price. But LD? Wow wow wow. As soon as I painted my first nail my heart was doing back flips. It's thick but not gloopy. It's smooth and opaque. And it dries super duper fast. This is a lady's polish - all glossy and grown up. Just Perfect (a gorgeous pinky peachy apricot?) got me so many compliments. I wore it for about 2 weeks (I did have to touch up but 2 weeks?!) because I didn't want to take it off. I am in a horrible dilemma now (hash tag firstworldproblems) - the bottle of Just Perfect is a tiny 4.6ml (the full size zero gravity is 12ml) - do I seriously purchase a full sized? How could I not?

[Above - LA Colors in Pink Bubbles]
[Above - LA Colors in Summertime]
Back to Earth now. My Cinderella moment has come to an end and the coach is now a pumpkin again. Went out with Cee and ended up in Beauty Base (despite me begging her not to let me go inside). I said I was there to repurchase my fav shade Moody Red but I ended up with 4 polishes (at 99p each dude come on!!!). 

First one I tried out last week was Pink Bubbles and I love it. The picture does it absolutely no justice at all - this is a young and bright pink, almost neon, but not as neon as Lightning (Cee finds it funny that I know the names of polishes but these are my babies and parents remember their babies names). Pink bubbles got a lot of attention and compliments from random strangers but I think the fact that my nails were in a really good shape contributed to that. This is definitely one of my favs. 

The polish I am wearing right now was chosen by Cee and it's Summertime (bit of a slap in the face considering it's raining as I type) - its a pretty bubble gum pink; very similar to Rimmel's Urban Princess and ELF's bubble gum. I'm really glad with this purchase because the two aforementioned polishes are getting dry and gloopy so I found this at just the right time. My nails were getting so long that I couldn't do stuff (put in my contact lenses, type, open bottles or jars) so I had to cut them. Even though I like my nails long, shorter nails allow me to wear brighter colours and one of the other colours waiting to be tested out is a neon green so I look forward to sharing that with you all soon. 

Wishing everyone a great week xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails