Sunday 21 July 2013

Review: Revlon Colorstay foundation

Hi guys!

Just wanted to let you know what I think about Revlon Colorstay foundation.

I have 3 shades/2 formulations: 



The first Colorstay I tried out was 320 True Beige in the normal/dry skin formulation. I got this ages ago (2012?...maybe 2011?!) but I've only been using it for a few months. I really liked the coverage and staying power but the colour match was not good. Colorstay oxidises on me very very badly - this shade is dark for me regardless but after about 4 hours, I'm an Oompa Loompa. Scrap that - even an Oompa Loompa would think I was too orange!!! 

Also, skin wise I've come to the conclusion that I don't have dry skin (I'm just dry at my damaged nose area); the majority of my face is normal-ish. This revelation has changed my life (well...it's changed the type of stuff I put on my face).

So anyway, I liked this but I needed a slightly lighter shade and whilst I was looking I thought I'd try out the combination/oily skin type.


First stop was Boots and Superdrugs to try to find a colour match. Can I just say that the cleanliness and overall display quality of drugstore makeup stations are utterly appalling. Disgusting. I'm sure you can catch something deadly from the testers. 

Long story short, there wasn't much of a shade range in stores but I knew from online research that Revlon foundations come in a relatively fantastic shade range. So I decided to colour match myself to a mac foundation using my Estée Lauder's double wear match (in tawny FYI) as I very recently got matched  in store. My dodgy research told me I was probably around the 35-40 mark and interestingly enough that gave me a colorstay match of true beige as the darkest. So I was on the right track I felt.

I have shade Golden Beige in Revlon Photoready and it was too light for me but reviews said that Photoready and Colorstay shades weren't the same (despite using the same names) so I decided that I'd go for this, since if it was too light I could mix it with True Beige.

But then! I realised that in the USA they had a shade 310 Warm Golden. Smack bang between 300 Golden Beige and 320 True beige. Now how do I get my hand on this 'special' shade?

Some retailers were selling Warm Golden for £17-21!!!!! (In the UK Colorstay rrp is £12-13 - and I always buy foundation when it's on offer eg 3 for 2.

I was about to lose hope but then an eBay miracle happened. A lady was selling golden beige and warm golden!!! I entered into a bidding war and slayed all my enemies. Best feeling. (Each was sold separately - total for both was £13 inc p+p - bargain!!!)

So - do I like it? Yes! I won't go on about shade anymore but I'm loving the formulation of the combination/oily skin.

Coverage - great coverage. Covers all my red bits and gives a nice even finish. 

Finish - nice and matte but doesn't leave me looking like I'm wearing a mask. And it doesn't feel tight and heavy. It's probably heavy for some people but this is a full coverage foundation so what do you expect?! Wears really nicely throughout the day. 

Oil control - Does control my oil so it was worth switching formulas. Doesn't leave me totally oil free and I do need to blot but my face is definitely less melty lol I can't make a comparison with any other foundation as I've always gone for dry skin types before.

Lasting power - this says "wears for up to 24 hours". I've never worn my make up for 24 hours but I would say definitely great for a 9-12 hour working day, and pretty fantastic for 16 hours.

I'm really happy with my choice of product and for the price this might potentially be my forever foundation. Very tempted to bulk buy but trying to remain calm and sensible!

Have you tried this? Do you like it? Any recommendations?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails