Friday 6 August 2010

Challenge - Day 19: A talent of mine

Well this is a hard one!! I've taken a simple question and have turned it into a big long ramble. Sorry in advance ;)

Erm, a talent of mine?

I would say that "I can play the violin" but to be honest I don't really see being able to play a musical instrument as a talent - I was taught. I can play several instruments, just about all bar woodwind, but that is because I applied what I learned with my first instrument (violin) and applied it to everything else.

Not sure if that made much sense; this is what wikipedia defines a talent as and which is what I wish I had said:

"Talent is generally considered to be an innate, personal gift possessed by relatively few people. In essence, someone with talent has an aptitude to do certain things.

Talent (in the sense of natural ability or giftedness) is not the same as skill, which is a learned process, and one which is enhanced or inhibited by an underlying talent."

Therefore I would say the musical stuff is a skill, BUT I am not denying that for some people, there musical stuff is a talent.

So back to the main question, what is my talent?

I don't think I have one :S I'm trying to think of all the stuff I'm good at and I can't really get beyond a) the talent vs skill debate and b) all my good stuff involves my interaction with other people, does that count?!

I think this might keep me awake for a few nights and hopefully I will have a solid answer to this one day lol

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails