Sunday 2 October 2011

Rant: Lazy so and so

Ok, this is a random wordy post. Just a bit of a rant so please feel free to avert your eyes.

There's an advert that comes on the radio everyday and it bugs me so much, it really gets my blood boiling. The ad is for 'Three' (nothing wrong against Three as a company) and it's their "do the smart thing'" campaign. The ad man basically says that there is no need to waste time shopping or researching for a new smart phone, go to Three where they've done all the hard work for you and you can just pick out of the best phones and packages they've chosen for us.

Why does this piss me off?

To me, the message given says all there is to say about what is wrong with today's youth; especially after the recent riots: lazy so and so's.

I'll put my hands up and say "yes, I love convenience. Yes I am a lazy cow", but you know what? That's on PJ Sundays, in the week I live and lead a real life and contribute somewhat to the society I live in.

The advert pisses me off because it highlights how we now live in a society where it's all about instant gratification as opposed to the generations before where it was about deferred gratification.

Of course advantages in technology and science and globalisation means that life really is easier, and I am not suggesting that we wash our clothes in a river and shun the washing machine; I am not even suggesting we don't make use of Three's service, heck, why waste time when we can save it? But it's the underlying message that hurts my heart.

Our children, our youth, our future are the sort of people who cannot be bothered. A generation of wastemen and wastegash!! The only dreams they (ok, I know I am super duper generalising but you get the point yeah?) have is to win X factor and become instant superstars.

Sure, if I had the talent and opportunity I would also want to be an instant superstar/instant millionaire but that hasn't stopped me from slogging it out in the rat race. For a lot of 'kids' these days, when they say "I've only wanted to sing/danceactplay football" they are also saying "and I am not going to bother doing any thing else until I get what I want".

Of course I am being ungenerous here, there are plenty of 'good' kids out there working weekends in McDonalds and not looting during the riots. But they don't piss me off so they are not what my post is about ;)

And I've run out of steam. Felt good to get that off my chest. I might have to start listening to another radio station from now on! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails