Saturday 1 February 2014

Homemade Kale Chips

Hi Guys!

I had a go at making Kale Chips (the latest blogger's food fad!!!) and thought I'd share the experience with you. I say experience because truth be told it didn't quite go to plan!

The taste was good (seasoning) but I didn't leave the kale in the oven long enough so some were perfect and crispy, and then some was just a bit like stir fry.

In terms of taste and what I was aiming for - think seaweed from the Chinese takeaway. 


My kale was already prepared so the first thing I had to do was wash it under water but if your kale isn't already cut up then just grab scissors and cut the leaves off the hard stalk bits (cos these don't crisp up - if you wanted I guess you could just bung the whole thing in the oven - want not, waste not - waste not, want not?)

Then dry your kale (super duper duper dry) and place on an oven tray. Season with olive oil and whatever you want really. I ended up using salt, pepper and sugar to make it taste just like the Chinese seaweed stuff.

Put in the oven until crispy!
So erm. Like I said, mine weren't exactly what I was hoping for, but hopefully I'll master the baking technique second time round.

LESSONS LEARNED

1) DRY THE KALE DRY THE KALE DRY THE KALE - after washing make sure the leaves are dry, otherwise they will not crisp up in the oven, DRY THE KALE. I dabbed at mine with kitchen roll but was a bit lazy about it tbh so I deserved my soggy kale. DRY THE KALE. The one thing I would say to you is DRY THE KALE. Ok, do we get the point now? Because I read a few 'how to's' and I still didn't fully bother. DRY THE KALE. DRY THE KALE PROPERLY. KALE NEEDS T BE COMPLETELY DRY DUDE!!!

2) Don't overload the oven tray. This is probably common sense to most people - but I am not most people so I overloaded the tray and even if my kale had been dry it probably still wouldn't have had room to get crispy.

3) I've purposedly left out times or oven settings because I can't be trusted. I might edit this if I improve, but for now, read these idiot proof notes, but go and get the techy bit from somewhere else.

I've got half a bag of kale left and will be making more this evening (practise makes perfect...hopefully?). Despite my mishaps I would definitely recommend you give these a go - a healthy and yummy snack, that's "easy to make" (hahahaha).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails