Monday 1 February 2010

5 stars for fish sauce!!

Hello!

Today was a good day. Felt very long though. Boss declared it national
penny day and said I could do what I wanted, which sounds fun but
isn't in reality since there is nothing to do (apart from work stuff).
So I did work stuff.

Then off home (and wow it was still light, summer is on the way - and
yes I say this despite the snow that did fall in my area).

Had a lovely dinner with S and R, crabstick fried rice, which is
basically Thai khao pad pu but with cheap crabsticks instead of 'real
crab'. It was delish even if I do say so myself. I'm proud of myself
and relieved that I've finally added another dish to my repetoire
(spaghetti bol, lasagne, salmon, jerk chicken (breast, wings, thighs),
basic curry from a jar and now frie rice yay!!!). My next aim is to
make pad Thai, which is a strange choice for me cos I don't
particularly love it but since I'm starting to use those type of
ingredients (erm, spring onions) I thought I'd give it a whizz. Five
stars for fish sauce!!! *****

And now when people ask if I can cook Thai food I can say yes :)
People find it strange that I can't cook Thai food (well actually I
can't cook at all which doesn't help) but why do they assume that I
would? Just because I am yellow. Ignoramus. I was born and bred in
east London, I grew up on fish fingers and chicken nuggets (my mum
isn't much of a cook either). The only Thai we had was corriander in
our spaghetti (which is really yummy btw).

Next week R, S and I are going to have our first come dine with me
event. S has volunteered to go first. Really looking forward to it.
Wish there was a £1000 prize though!!!! R is nervous that we won't be
able to eat her creations but anything is better then toast!!! Bring
it on!

What's on my menu? Well, originally I was going to do a Thai theme:
Starter - Thai fish cakes with relish and sweet chilli
Main - beef pad seeiew (totally wrong spelling but yummy yummy
noodles, my fav)
Dessert - some sort of sorbet, either mango or lychee, but the guys
don't really like sorbet so not too certain. Proper Thai desserts are
hard to make.

Or Id want to do a lebanese style menu but the meat bits would take
toooo long to cook and the ingredients would be pricey I think. Not
sure when my turn is so I'll start researhing recipes.

Waiting for R to text to say she's home safe. My eyelids are starting
to droooooop....

Oh! The reason why it was national penny day was because the big VIP
visit was cancelled but noone bothered to tell me so I was stressing
for nothing, and I was sad cos I was early to work (and trust it was
haaard dragging myself out of bed!) and dressed all smart.

Also, my 'what's in ur handbag' post went out by accident cos I hadnt
finished it, sorry for the crappy read. I think when I'm online via
laptop I'll edit it (don't worry I don't have any more junk in my bag,
just want to add info about each item rather then just the list that
went out).

Ok R is home safe so I'm hitting the hay.

Hope everyone has a great week ahead. Sweetdreams xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails