Saturday 3 May 2014

New hair - John Frieda's precision foam colour in 4BG Dark Chocolate Brown


Hi Guys!

So........a while back I said that I was going to grow grey gracefully. And then I just had too many grey hairs in the worst places. On first glance I don't think anyone would notice I had a lot of grey hair but on closer inspection I had a lot of short sticky up grey hairs at the front of my hair line and then loads of grey hair along my parting. Do greys like fresh air or something?!

This was a total impulsive decision. At 5.30pm when I was leaving work I hadn't decided to dye my hair, and by 8pm that night I was head down in the bath trying to dye my own hair.


I was on the search for M&S pistachio cookies in Liverpool Street station (omg amazing mmmmmmmmmm) but they were sold out *sadface and so I ended up in Boots looking for cotton wool pads and somehow I ended up in the hair dye aisle and there was money off John Frieda's precision foam colour and.....yeah. 

I think RRP is £9.99 and I paid £6 something, definitely under £7. 

I wanted a colour as close to my natural hair colour as possible a dark dark brown, and I wanted to avoid a red tint for sure so I went for shade 4BG, Dark Chocolate Brown.

I don't know which moron designed the packaging. Why is the model pictured in black and white? I know they show the hair colour but I'm always interested in seeing it on a person. Anyway. 

The reason why I also went for this is because I was interested in the foam aspect. When I was younger I use to dye my hair quite a lot but my mum always did it for me and I didn't think I would be able to manage. In retrospect I probably could have used a normal hair dye as I have about 70% less hair - damn it in length and thickness - than I did 10 years ago!!

This was easy to use in all aspect. Pop 2 into 1 and slowly tilt the bottle a few times (instructions are much more specific!) 3 is the conditioner so you can forget about that until the end. 

Replace the screw lid withthe foam spraying thing.

Put on the sexy scary black rubber gloves. (Smear your hairline and ears with vaseline first and put on something old first!)


The product in the bottle won't look foamy. Don't panic. DO NOT SHAKE!

You kinda squeeze the bottle and thats how you get the foam. 

My body and bathroom floor didn't come out of this impulse decision too good. Luckily make up wipes sorted out the body dye. Unfortunately, my bathroom floor now has suspect brown stains on the floor....
And then you put the foam in your hair.

The main reason I decided I was going to go grey gracefully was due to my hair loss. I've spoken about this loads here but in case you're new, I'm losing hair like a MOFO. I'm running out of ways to part my hair because from ear to ear it is so thin now :(

There is no scientific proof that hair dye contributes to hair loss but in my mind, the less crap I put onto my scalp the better right?

So I did take a bit of a risk doing this, but like I said, last minute decision....

When I put it on my heart was racing. I was ready to wash it straight off if it didn't feel good but after about one minute of tingly and that horrid hair dye smell I felt like I had a hair treatment in my hair!

I left it in for.....30 minutes? When I was younger I use to leave dye in for maybe an hour due to my 'asian hair' but I decided that I wouldn't take too many risks and tempt the fates and jumped into the shower.

I was pleasantly surpirsed at how conditioning the hair foam was. Instead of being a tangled rat nest I could actually run my fingers through my hair as the water rinsed out the foam. Also, just so you know, it gets all lathering like shampoo when you  wash it out which was nice.  I then used the conditioner that came in the box. It was so crap that I actually gave up half way through and used my own normal hair conditioner.

And I was done. Dyed and not totally bald. But was I still grey?

I dried my hair roughly with the hairdryer but at this point it was nearly 10pm so into bed I went.
Well. There is a colour change but only one that I can see lol so I guess I did a really good colour match when choosing a shade? Too bad I'm not so talented when picking foundation to match my face!!!

#Selfie while I'm walking down the street lol #noshame

I like my new hair but honestly, my greys are still there. Now they are just a caramel colour. Bit annoying and maybe I should just go grey gracefully after all?

I'm really glad I gave this a try though cos the situation was bugging me.

The product was really easy to use and left my hair in good condition (doesn't feel dry at all), so no harm no foul right?

It is really tempting to try again with a normal dye to see if I get better grey coverage but I honestly don't think that will be worth the risk.

Have you used this product or a similar foaming colour before? Any good? Just out of interest, any recommendations for great dyes to cover grey?

Have a great day xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails